NEWS
Wednesday, Sep 11 03:58pm
AUTHOR: Simon Chapman

MTEC Motorsport confirm S5000 entry with Macrow and Brabham

Castrol Toyota Racing Series team MTEC Motorsport have confirmed they’ll contest the inaugural S5000 round at Sandown Raceway.

 

Australian Formula 3 Championship winner Tim Macrow will compete for the team and comes in as arguably the most experienced driver. Macrow has been conducting the majority of the S5000 testing, even in the early days of the concept when it was once Formula Thunder 5000.

 

MTEC Motorsport will run two cars, one for Macrow and the other for previously announced driver Matthew Brabham. It’s a reunion of sorts for the team having run Brabham in the Australian Formula Ford Championship back in 2010.

 

The two-round championship begins at Sandown Raceway over 20-22 September and will conclude at The Bend Motorsport Park on 15-17 November. It is expected a full scale calendar will be conducted in 2020 once the full size field of S5000 single seaters are built.

 

It is anticipated 13 cars, which are being built by Garry Rogers Motorsport, will be ready for the season opener. Macrow’s confirmation brings the grid to six with ex-Formula 1 star Rubens Barrichello, ex-A1GP driver John Martin, Super2 Series ace Will Brown and SuperUtes front runner Tom Alexander all set to contest the inaugural race.

 

“MTEC is an open wheel organisation, so this is an opportunity to do something special, historic in the local scene,” MTEC Motorsport Managing Director Bruin Beasley said.

 

“Personally, I’m committed to running GRM’s TCR program, however, I’ll have a crew of my regular crew, made up of local and international staff, that will look after the two cars at our usual high standards.

 

“I’m a big fan of the S5000 concept, but we need to get through this year and then see what will happen for 2020 and beyond. It is certainly something that we are looking at closely as a full-time category to be involved in.

 

“With these two drivers, we have a really good shot at getting some good results at Sandown. Tim has done plenty of laps, and Matt is no stranger to high-powered open wheelers.”

 

Now 35-years-old, Macrow has an extensive career in motor racing. In his second full season of the Australian Formula Ford Championship he came second and then spent several years racing in the Australian Formula 3 Championship, which he won in his second attempt in 2007.

 

He won the Formula 3 title again in 2013 while balancing on-and-off drives in the Australian GT Championship, LMP3 Series in China, and Super2 Series.

 

Macrow comes into the series with high hopes, but is well aware of the high calibre drivers already confirmed to race.

 

“Having done a few laps along the way in the development car, I do know the thrill that awaits all the drivers lining up at Sandown,” Macrow said.

 

“It’s going to be a red letter day for Australian motorsport, and I’ll be giving it a red hot go, as someone once said!

 

"It’s really great that a group of companies linked to Australian motorsport – Equity-One, Holinger, and the Boylan Group – have stepped forward to support my entry. I’ve obviously worked with everyone at Holinger as the S5000 car has evolved, so am particularly honoured to be carrying their colours. 

 

"Equity-One has been a supporter of mine for a number years so I have to thank Dean and the team for their support, along with Peter Boylan who is a massive supporter of Australian motorsport. 

 

“Running alongside Matt (Brabham) will be interesting. While he hasn’t run open-wheelers for a year or two, don’t forget he was US F2000 champion a few years back, and ran very strongly in Indy Lights, and then his one-off Aussie-backed entry in the 2016 Indy 500. Not a bad resume …”

 

Photo: Daniel Kalisz

LATEST NEWS