The FIA Motorsport Games have been postponed until 2021 due to the coronavirus outbreak.
The inaugural event was held in Vallelunga in Italy last year and was scheduled to take place again this year in Marseille and Paul Ricard from October 23 to 25 with an expanded list of disciplines.
However, given the nature of the pandemic, the congested calendar toward seasons end will lead to clashes with other events.
Therefore, the Games have been delayed almost exactly a year – the new dates being October 22-24, 2021. Marseille and Paul Ricard will retain their positions as the host venues.
Speaking with Motorsport.com, Jean Today said the FIA hopes this measure will “reduce further logistical and financial pressure” on those involved.
“Unfortunately, due to the COVID-19 crisis, we have decided to postpone the 2020 Motorsport Games to next year.
“It will leave the opportunity to ASN’s, the teams and our promoter SRO to be better prepared.
“I take the opportunity to wish the best to the Circuit Paul Ricard which celebrated its 50th anniversary last Sunday and to thank them for welcoming the next FIA Motorsport Games.”
SRO CEO Stephane Ratel said postponing the Games was the right action to take, and how planning for the event in 2021 is already underway.
“Moving the second edition of the FIA Motorsport Games to 2021 is the correct course of action.
“The event was conceived as a late-season contest with each nation represented by its most talented competitors, but many series will now race further into the year than anticipated, meaning it would have fallen during a very busy period.
“To avoid this conflict, we will begin planning for 2021 and are pleased to have confirmed a revised date at Circuit Paul Ricard. I am grateful that this decision has been reached in such good time and believe that the second edition of the FIA Motorsport Games will ultimately be stronger for it.”
In last year’s edition of the Games, New Zealand was represented by Faine Kahia in TCR, and Flynn Mullany in Formula 4.