Earlier this year, Roger Penske, owner of the Team Penske IndyCar outfit, approached McLaughlin to offer him a drive at the GMR Grand Prix of Indianapolis.
But now the defending Supercars champion’s debut may be put on standby as IndyCar has responded to the covid-19 outbreak by cancelling all races up until the Grand Prix.
Likewise, the Centre for Disease Control and Prevention is now advising that any unnecessary gatherings exceeding 50 people not to take place for the next two months. While the advice is not mandatory, the two-month timeframe does include the Grand Prix which is scheduled for May 9.
Whilst the threat of losing his IndyCar debut is very much a possibility, McLaughlin is maintaining a positive, philosophical attitude amid all the uncertainty.
In a column for personal sponsor Grove Racing, McLaughlin wrote:
“There’s so much speculation right now with the IndyCar schedule. But that’s all it is, speculation.
“As I write this now, I know there’s a fair degree of doubt on the Indy Grand Prix taking place at Indianapolis in early May – but let’s just wait and see.
“There are way more important issues right now than racing cars, and while I’m disappointed at how this is potentially playing out, I’m not losing sight of the big picture.”