Racing Point’s Sergio Perez has been ruled out of this weekend’s British Grand Prix after testing positive for Covid-19.
The 30-year-old missed Thursday’s media day after is was confirmed he had returned an inconclusive test and was forced to self-isolate.
But after being re-tested later that same day it was confirmed Perez had indeed contracted the virus.
Perez’s positive case will not affect the status of the Grand Prix which will go ahead as planned.
Likewise, Racing Point will still proceed with plans to run two cars this weekend with their revised driver line-up to be announced in the lead up to FP1 tonight.
Formula 1 is following a strict testing regime as part of the safety protocols put in place when racing resumed earlier this month, and this is the first time a driver has tested positive.
A statement issued by Racing Point said Perez is “physically well and in good spirits” and will continue to follow out F1’s self-isolation protocols.
“The entire team wishes Sergio well and looks forward to welcoming him back into the cockpit of the RP20 soon,” said the team.
“Our intention is to race two cars on Sunday. We will communicate the next steps for our British Grand Prix weekend in due course.”
The universal self-isolation measures as per the World Health Organisation is anyone who contracts the virus must undergo isolation for a minimum of two weeks. F1 is slated to run back-to-back Grands Prix at Silverstone which could see the Mexican racer ruled out for at least two races before returning for the Spanish Grand Prix on August 17.