Supercars can breathe a sigh of relief with the announcement today that quarantine-free travel between New Zealand and Australia will commence on April 18.
While New Zealand’s round of the championship is not scheduled to be staged until November 6-7, Cabinet’s announcement means teams and drivers can enter and leave the country without entering managed isolation.
“The Director-General of Health (Chris Hipkins) considers the risk of transmission of Covid-19 from Australia to New Zealand is low and that quarantine free travel is safe to commence,” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said.
However, the potential for flights between the two nations to be suspended still exists, with the travel bubble hinging on local outbreaks in either country.
Last month saw Queensland experience a slight scare when two clusters of Covid-19 were confirmed to be in the community.
Should a similar outbreak occur, New Zealand will suspend direct travel to and from the state until Cabinet believes it is safe to re-open the border.
The New Zealand round is currently pencilled in as the penultimate event of the season.
The revised Australian Grand Prix, slated for November 19-21, remains a possibility to hold a round for the championship.
Hampton Downs and Pukekohe Park are currently the two circuits vying to host this year’s Supercars meeting.
Located in North Waikato, Hampton Downs was meant to hold its maiden round last year before it was cancelled because of coronavirus-induced calendar changes.
Supercars have openly said both venues are worth consideration, with circuit confirmation to be made well in advance of the November race date.