Supercars CEO Sean Seamer says the series will make a decision as to whether the Winton round slated for June 5-7 will go ahead is set to be made at the end of the month.
Seamer has already acknowledged that resuming the season in Winton is an “optimistic” attitude.
But speaking with AutoAction, Seamer said that a final judgement on the Winton round won’t be made until the end of April.
“We’ll wait until the end of the month before we make a call on that,” Seamer said.
“I think we’ll have a better idea at the end of the month, based on what we’re hearing as to when we’re able to come back and what form that takes.”
Australian healthy authorities have said that while the number of confirmed cases of COVID-19 is declining on a daily rate, it is not a time to become complacent.
Thus, even when Supercars are prepared to resume racing, whether spectators will be allowed to attend or if races will become a TV-only affair remains in doubt.
Seamer has already suggested that the championship may turn to shorter race formats or mid-week races to limit the volume of team personnel required to run a race meeting.
“In the background, we’re obviously working on plans to make sure that we’re able to go racing even if there are social distancing restrictions for a longer period of time,” added Seamer.
“Like everybody, we’re working through all the different scenarios and as soon as we can come out with an exact plan of when and how we’re going to go racing, we will.”
A further decision concerning the running of the Townsville Street round will also be made in less than a month, with Seamer confirming today that a final commitment date has been scheduled for May 15.
“Our final commitment date on Townsville that I received from our events team earlier this week is May 15,” he said.
“Obviously, the disruption to the cities and the density of the crowds at those events make them at a higher risk, so the timing of those events is going to be very, very important.”