The ongoing lockdowns and uncertainty in the North Island have forced Speedworks to postpone the season-opening round, which had been scheduled for November 12-14, at Hampton Downs Motorsport Park.
The opening round of the season will now be held at Pukekohe Park December 4-5, with the November round rescheduled to April 22-24 and becoming the season finale.
A number of series including NAPA Central Muscle Cars, Best Bars Toyota 86 Championship and Hi-Q Components Formula First Championship had been scheduled to take part in the opening round.
“With an uncertain roadmap, we weren’t confident that we could stay on track to deliver these events,” said Speed Works’ Geoff Short.
“The decision to move the November events to April 2022 was logical given the current situation.
“It’s a shame of course but it wouldn’t be right to expect people to plan long trips and hotel accommodation when the situation is currently changing on a daily basis.
“Thanks go to Hampton Downs for working with us to find a solution to reschedule these events into April 2022. We are excited with the possibility of being able to deliver two of the best events in the season’s calendar.
“We’re very grateful to the classes and teams involved for their support and we will continue to monitor the situation very closely.”
Speaking about the announcement, Toyota Gazoo Racing New Zealand manager Nico Caillol was supportive of the decision.
“We were fully supportive of the change in the circumstances and hopefully a small delay will allow drivers and teams to make the most of the opportunity of additional preparation time,” said Caillol.
“We will of course have to keep our eye firmly focused on the developing situation and adjust accordingly if we need to alter any further dates.”
Main image:Bruce Jenkins