Supercars has confirmed it will cancel the Gold Cost round for the second year in a row, the event was scheduled to serve as the season finale on December 3-5.
There had been speculation about the event in recent weeks, with Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said the decision needed to be made before construction of the circuit began, a deadline that would have been in the coming weeks.
The cancellation comes as a result of the growing Covid-19 outbreak and the uncertainty that it brings in a number of areas.
“Given the evolving and unpredictable COVID situation, it has become increasingly challenging to stage a complex multi-faceted event on the streets of Surfers Paradise for tens of thousands of spectators this year,” said Seamer.
“We understand that our fans were looking forward to the season finale on the Gold Coast. To cancel the event for a second year is an incredibly difficult decision, but a necessary one.
“We thank the Queensland Government via Tourism and Events Queensland and the City of Gold Coast and Major Events Gold Coast for their ongoing support.
“We fully intend to return to the Surfers Paradise street circuit in 2022 and we are confident that everything is headed in the right direction for us to do so in spectacular style.”
Peter Adderton, founder of Boost Mobile, the title sponsor for the event remains committed to the sport, despite recently admitting to media that his push to take over the series as its new owner has been unsuccessful.
“Boost Mobile is committed in supporting motorsport and the fans in Australia,” Adderton said.
“It is important for both Supercars and Boost Mobile to hold the Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 when fans can come and enjoy what a great event it is. Unfortunately, that’s not the case this year.
“In saying that, the Boost Mobile Gold Coast 500 will be back bigger and better in 2022 and for 2021 we will continue our ongoing support for a number of drivers and teams.
“We look forward to seeing them battle on track for the remainder of the 2021 season.”
This is the second cancellation in a week after the Phillip Island event was also cancelled last week.
The Bathurst 1000 is shaping up for a possible move to the date planned for the Gold Coast event. More calendar changes are likely with two gaps in the current schedule and the suggestion the Winton round may be cancelled.
Main image: Ross Gibb