The next round of the Supercars Championship in Townsville is in jeopardy, following confirmation of a Covid-19 lockdown for the region.
Following a recent outbreak in Sydney, lockdowns have subsequently been declared across Australia, with Townsville confirming a three-day lockdown earlier today alongside South East Queensland, Palm Island, and Magnetic Island.
Supercars are scheduled to race at the Townsville Parklands circuit next weekend. In a statement, the series says it will continue to adhere to health advice.
“In light of the upgraded restrictions in Queensland, Supercars will continue to adhere to all government health advice as we proceed towards our next event in Townsville from July 9-11,” said the series in a brief statement.
“As always, we will continue to monitor the situation in Queensland and around Australia, to ensure the health and safety of our staff and fans remains our highest priority.”
As it stands, Townsville’s lockdown will lift on Friday, July 2 at 6.00pm AEST.
If the Townsville event is axed due to the outbreak, it will be the second event of the Supercars’ 2021 calendar to be called off due to the pandemic.
The series’ scheduled visit to Winton Raceway in Victoria last month was postponed due to a seven-day lockdown in the region and the travel constraints it placed on teams. It’s hoped the series will return to the track later in the year.