The British Grand Prix will now most certainly not go ahead on its July date as Formula 1 have been told they will not receive an exemption to the country’s latest quarantine measures.
The development comes after British home secretary Priti Patel addressed the nation earlier in the week to confirm that all arrivals into the UK must enter a self-isolation period of 14 days.
It is a predicament that the sport and its teams will likely not wish to enter, thus meaning the inevitable postponement of the Silverstone race.
With the opening nine rounds of the world championship either having been postponed or cancelled, F1 unveiled a purposed revised calendar that would see two British Grands Prix play out on successive weekends on July 26/August 2.
But despite the hindrance, F1 has said they are committed to continue negotiating with the UK Government in a bid to be granted an exemption.
“We have been working closely with government on the implications of the policy for Formula 1 and Silverstone and those discussions are ongoing at this time with the aim of finding a solution with safety as our first priority,” said an F1 spokesperson today.
It remains unknown how long Britain’s 14-day self-isolation period will last, though the scheme will be reviewed every three-weeks which could mean that it could be abolished before the July date.
However, the sport has openly admitted they are assessing alternative options should the British GP be unable to go ahead as planned – with races at Hockenheim or the Hungaroring mooted as likely replacements.