With heavy rainfall occurring on the black sea coast and the track in Sochi looking more like a white water rafting course than a racetrack.
The organizers of the Grand Prix and the F2 directors have chosen to cancel the third and final practice of the weekend and postpone the first sprint race due to safety concerns.
Since the early morning the track has been affected by torrential rain, thunder, and lighting. FIA race director Michael Masi indicated changes may need to be made to the entire Saturday Schedule if the conditions continue.
“As we can see already this morning, the weather’s gone up and down like a yoyo, and the intensity of the rain has been increasing, with some thunder also joining us.
“But effectively the procedure per today will be that we will aim to start all sessions, get everything ready from an operational perspective, and then judge the conditions at the time.
“What we’re seeing from the forecast side is that we will have… rain until about 1330-1430 local time, and then it decreasing in the afternoon … our main focus will be on running qualifying.”
Featured image source: Twitter.com/f1