Supercars have set a deadline of May 15 to decide whether this years Townsville 400 event will go ahead or not.
A June return for the series has been considered the “best-case scenario” especially given the public restrictions imposed by the Australian government. Prime Minister Scott Morrison recently announced a four-week extension to the restrictions.
As a result of this, Supercars has established deadlines for decisions on both the Winton and Townsville events, which are scheduled to be the first events on the resumption of the season.
The decision for Winton is set for the send of this month, and May 15 for Townsville.
Speaking with Motorsport.com, Supercars CEO Sean Seamer said:
“Our final commitment date on Townsville, which I received from our events team earlier this week, I believe is the 15th of May,
“We’re not getting worried about things we can’t control right now. We know what our drop-dead date to make a call on it is, and we’ll make a call at that time.”
Other events such as the Gold Coast 600 and Newcastle 500 are also under threat, as the viability of those events without crowds has been put into question.
“That’s certainly key to the conversations that we’re having with our state government partners,” said Seamer.
“Obviously the disruption to the city and the density of the crowds at those events make them at a higher risk.
“So, the timing of those events is going to be very important, and that is central to the discussions that we are having with state governments.
“No decisions have been made at this point of time, and a lot of it will be dictated by government policy.”
A number of ideas have been thrown around in an effort to salvage the 2020 season, including running the finale as part of the 2021 Bathurst 12 Hour race weekend.